You are here
Most Danes speak English quite well. Nevertheless, being able to speak Danish will benefit you at your workplace or your study place and in social life.
There are two types of Danish courses – Labour Market Related Danish / IntroDanish and Danish Education 1, 2 and 3.
To offer you the right one there are following requirements:
IntroDanish is an introductory course for:
- Accompanying spouses
- Au pairs
- Cross-border commuters – with an EU/EØS or Swiss citizenship
Danish Education 1, 2 and 3 is a broader education for:
- The above mentioned groups when they have ended 250 lessons of IntroDanish within 18 months
- People form countries outside EU/EEA and Switzerland who have entered Denmark on the grounds of family reunification
If you do not meet the above mentioned requirements please contact the Jobcenter of Roskilde Municipality for information about rules of dispensation or you can choose to pay for your tuition yourself.
You find more information about the types of courses beneath “Which courses are offered?”
How do I sign up for a language course?
Roskilde Municipality refers new students to Danish language courses. To get a referral, please contact Roskilde Jobcenter, where you can also get answers to other questions about Danish language courses.
If you are employed or self-supporting, you can also contact the language school directly. In Roskilde, it is the language school CLAVIS that offers Danish language courses.
When CLAVIS has received the referral, they will invite you for a sign up and level placement interview. At the interview, they will find the type of course which best matches your language level.
If you work outside the Roskilde area and want to receive lessons in Danish close to your work, CLAVIS also offers courses in Copenhagen and Lyngby.
When and where do the courses take place?
The courses are flexible and effective. CLAVIS offers morning, afternoon, evening and weekend classes. Courses are given at CLAVIS Roskilde, at companies all over greater Copenhagen and for foreign students and employees at Roskilde University and Risø DTU.
Through CLAVIS’ cooperation with major international companies in greater Copenhagen, they also offer intensive Danish courses for their employees and spouses. Many of these courses are held at the companies.
Which courses are offered?
IntroDanish – learn Danish fast and efficiently
IntroDanish is a free Danish course organized for employees, students, accompanying spouses, au pairs, cross border commuters with an EU/EØS or Swiss citizenship, who holds a Danish CPR number and are not registered to Danish Education prior to January 2014.
IntroDanish comprises of 250 lessons in 5 modules of 50 lessons and must be completed within 18 months. If you want to learn more Danish you can move on to Danish Education 2 or 3 after the 250 lessons of IntroDanish.
IntroDanish is free of charge for the target group.
Danish Education 1, 2 and 3
Danish Education 1, 2 and 3 is a free Danish course organized for refugees, people form countries outside EU/EEA and Switzerland who have entered Denmark on the grounds of family reunification and who holds a Danish CPR number. Danish Education 2 and 3 are also for people who have finished 250 lessons of IntroDanish and want to learn more Danish.
The courses are divided into 3 levels – Danish Education 1, 2 and 3.
- Danish Education 1 is for students who cannot read or write in their own language.
- Danish Education 2 is for students with short educational background and who had not learned foreign languages before.
- Danish Education 3 requires a minimum of 12 years of schooling and is for foreigners who may speak one or more foreign languages besides their native language. At Danish Education 3, you are expected to be a quick learner of Danish as a second language. You will be able to navigate in the Danish society, and to work or study at an institution for higher education in Denmark. Danish education 3 can be concluded with Danish 3 examination/PD3. It is possible to use PD3 examination for application for Danish citizenship.
Danish Education is free of charge for the target group.
Private classes in Danish
You can also contact CLAVIS directly for tailor made, individual courses in Danish.